It’s Halloween and Halloween wouldn't be complete without a scary story. This Halloween we wanted to share a scary story we came across that would spook any new parent. It's about dangerous baby products. While some of the information is shocking, we thought it was an important lesson for every new parent about researching the baby products you choose before buying them.
NBC News recently reported on findings from the U.S. Consumer Products Safety Commission, the organization tasked with tracking injuries and working with manufacturers to recall and redesign faulty products.
The Commission mentioned a number of scary statistics that parents should be aware of, particularly where baby cribs and bedding are concerned.
For instance, officials with the commission said eleven million cribs with drop sides have been recalled. Certain cribs with detachable sides pose a threat because babies risk getting their heads or necks caught in the sides. Such cribs have been responsible for 32 babies deaths.
Bedding is also a worry. Commission officials say never to put pillows, bumpers or other blankets in baby’s crib because it can lead to suffocation. At least 12 baby deaths have been attributed to soft bedding being present in the crib.
If you carry your baby in a baby sling, be sure to keep baby’s head exposed at all times so they can breathe. A total of 14 baby deaths have resulted from the babies being suffocated by the fabric of a sling covering baby's nose and mouth.
We would be remiss if we didn’t also remind new parents to exercise extreme caution whenever bathing baby. Never, ever under any circumstances leave your baby unattended in the bath.
Getting your home ready for a new baby is a big responsibility, be sure to do your homework and read up on baby product safety and any baby product recalls taking place by going to: http://www.cpsc.gov/. In doing so, we hope to keep all our little pumpkins safe this Halloween and every Halloween to come.